Struggling to keep your kids entertained over the holidays? We’re challenging children across the UK to get involved in #ReadySetSmiles – a campaign which encourages them to take part in family-friendly fundraising activities in their local community, whilst raising money for a good cause.
Stuck for ideas? We’ve come up with seven fundraising activities for parents and their children to partake in during the school break:
- SET UP A CAR WASH – Hot day? Grab a bucket of water and a sponge and head out with your kids to see if any of your local friends and neighbours would be interested in a quick car wash in exchange for £5-£10. Not only is this a great way to encourage your local community to ‘do good’, you’ll also catch lots of sun rays in the process. Just remember to apply sun cream!
- HOST A BAKE SALE – Baking is a great activity for rainy days, which children and their parents can enjoy together. Once your baked goods are out of the oven, why not walk around the local area to see if your neighbours would be interested in buying a selection – or host a bake sale in your local town centre. Who doesn’t love cake and cookies?
- HOLD A SPONSORED SPORTS DAY – Sports day is a ‘classic’ family-friendly activity, which any age group can take part in. Just pick a date, invite your friends and family to meet at your local park, and let the games begin. Don’t forget to ask everyone to bring some participation money – and some hard-boiled eggs for an egg and spoon race!
- PUT ON A SHOW – If your child enjoys comedy, dancing or singing, encourage them to put on a show at home – perhaps with their siblings or friends – it’s a fun and creative way to raise money. Inviting family and friends to purchase ‘tickets’ to the show in advance is a great way to make money and give your children something to look forward to.
- MAKE A BIRTHDAY DONATION – Do your kids have a birthday coming up? Why not see if they’d like to use this opportunity as a chance to change lives, by asking friends and family to donate money for charity instead of giving traditional presents.
- TAKE PART IN A SPONSORED SILENCE – If you’re looking for a fundraising activity that doesn’t require much organisation, why not challenge your child to a sponsored silence? Not only is this a cheap way to raise money, but you’ll be treated to an afternoon of peace and quiet too.
- SIGN UP TO A SPORTING CHALLENGE – Does your child like a challenge? You might find that there’s a 10k race or mini-triathlon taking place in a nearby area which they’d like to take part in on behalf of #ReadySetSmiles. Try having a look in your local paper or online to see what’s coming up.
Whatever activity you choose, share photos with us on Twitter (@SmiletrainUK) Facebook (@SmileTrainUK) and Instagram (@SmileTrainUK) using #ReadySetSmiles – and don’t forget to submit any money raised to our donation page here.
At Smile Train we empower local medical professionals with training, funding, and resources to provide free cleft surgery and comprehensive cleft care to children globally. We advance a sustainable solution and scalable global health model for cleft treatment, drastically improving children’s lives, including their ability to eat, breathe, speak, and ultimately thrive.
All money raised by the #ReadySetSmiles campaign – which is this month’s guest campaign on the leading parenting website, Mumsnet – will help us to continue this life-changing work, giving children all over the world the power of a forever smile.