Grants totalling £35,000 have been made this month to 20 organisations across the Yorkshire region by Freemasons.
Donations of up to £5,000 have been given to schools, youth organisations, disability groups and the hospice movement, courtesy of the Province of Yorkshire West Riding’s Provincial Grand Master’s fund.
The Province of Yorkshire West Riding is based on the old West Riding, geographically ranging from Sheffield in the South to Ripon in the North and Goole in the East to Waddington in the West.
Each year the fund distributes £200,000 to good causes in north, east, south and west Yorkshire. In addition to the minor grants given on a quarterly basis – which range from £500 to £5000 – major grants are presented annually at the fraternity’s annual meeting at the Royal Hall in Harrogate. These can often exceed £30,000.
Recipients of the latest quarterly grant giving include:
- Saltergate Infant & Junior schools, Harrogate – £5,000 to provide a designated Multisensory Space and Linked Garden
- Bradford Soup Run – £3,500 to finance a cooking range and a fridge/freezer so it can continue providing hot food for the homeless of Bradford
- St Mary the Virgin Parish Hall, Dewsbury – £2,500 to update and refurbish fixtures and equipment
- Craven Judo Club, Craven district – £2,500 to purchase judo mats and expand the current schools programme
- Knaresborough Silver Band – £2,000 to purchase sousaphones to replace heavier tubas when the band marches
David S Pratt, the Provincial Grand Master of the Freemasons Province of Yorkshire West Riding, said:
“It gives me great pleasure to be able to support these 20 different organisations within our Province.
“Charity is at the very heart of Freemasonry, and without the continued generosity of our members, we simply wouldn’t be able to give the sums we do each quarter.
“Each recipient has been nominated by the members of a lodge, and the grants will help them to continue the valuable work they do within the local communities where they are active.”
Additional information regarding the Freemasons Province of Yorkshire West Riding is available from its website https://www.wrprovince.org.uk/