Cabbies from the London Taxi Drivers’ Charity for Children have been distributing ‘school starter packs’ to children returning to the classroom this September.
Over 1,000 backpacks containing stationery essentials are being distributed to a number of schools teaching disadvantaged and special needs children across London and the South East.
The idea to help welcome children back to school, while helping to keep them safe came from the Charity’s Child Liaison Officer, Paul Barber, who said:
“This year the beginning of the new school year has been more worrying than usual for parents and children as they head to the classroom either for the first time or after an extended pandemic enforced break. With the need to keep safe by socially distancing and not sharing any equipment in the classroom I suggested that we provide individual backpacks containing some of the essentials for the school day.”
Cabbie Steve Bell and his wife Wendy, who both volunteer for the London Taxi Drivers’ Charity for Children delivered backpacks to Gainsborough Primary School in Stratford.
Julie Carver, Gainsborough Primary School, said:
“Thank you so much for the school starter sets, the children were so excited to receive them. You are all diamonds and we are always so grateful for the help and support the London Taxi Drivers’ Charity for Children gives us. We can’t wait until safer times allow us to see each other again.”
Over 500 starter packs have already been delivered by volunteer cabbies with another 500 still to be distributed.
About the School Starter Pack
Schools that the charity will be supporting with backpacks include:
- College Park School, Garway Road, London, W2 4PH
- Carlton Primary School, 196 Grafton Road, Kentish Town, London, NW5 4AX
- Beormund Primary School, Crosby Row, London, SE1 3PS
- Torriano Infants School, Torriano Ave, London, NW5 2SJ
- West Lea School, 53-75 Dysons Road, Edmonton, London, N18 2DG
- Brookfield House School, 1a Alders Avenue, Woodford Green, Essex, IG8 9PY
- Churchfields Infant School, Churchfields, South Woodford, London, E18 2RB
- Clore Tikva School, 115 Fullwell Avenue, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex IG6 2JN
- Buckhurst Hill Community Primary School, Lower Queen’s Road, Buckhurst Hill, Essex IG9 6DS
The bright orange backpack contains a zip-up pencil case, a ruler, pen, pencil, pencil sharpener and eraser.
To learn more about the work of the London Taxi Drivers’ Charity for Children please visit www.ltcfc.org.uk and if you wanted to help support the work they do helping disadvantaged and special needs children you can donate by texting TAXI £5, £10 or £20 to 70085.