- Full-time · Mid-Senior level
- 1,001-5,000 employees · Museums, Historical Sites, and Zoos
Today the Museum is more relevant and influential than ever. By attracting people from a range of backgrounds to work for us, we can continue to look at the world with fresh eyes and find new ways of doing things.
We employ 900 staff in a variety of roles, all united by our vision of a future where people and planet thrive. We need everyone to have the passion and drive to help us with our mission to create advocates for our planet and inspire millions to care about the natural world.
Diversity and inclusion matter to us.
Our vision is of a future where both people and the planet thrive. Diversity is one of our core values and we strive to build a workplace where everyone feels a sense of belonging. All new staff who join us learn about the importance of diversity and inclusion to the Museum and how to contribute to creating an inclusive environment.
We know we have more to do, but we are committed to ensuring that everyone who works at the Museum feels they can thrive and feels valued and respected.
About the role
Communications, Digital and Marketing are looking for a Head of Digital Content to join them to create a content strategy that grows and engages a global audience, champions the Museum’s science and supports the visitor experience.
The successful applicant will establish a clear vision for digital content and ensure it brings value to users, and own the Museum’s tone of voice across its digital platforms, promote best practice in content production, and ensure the Museum’s editorial output is accessible to the widest possible audience.
The successful candidate will align the Digital Content and social media publishing calendars, ensuring a consistent tone and brand experience on-platform and off-platform.
You will have significant experience of leading content strategy and creating, managing and producing innovative, high quality digital content. You will have demonstrable experience of developing a content programme that responds to user need and business strategy.
You will bring outstanding editing skills, with experience of coaching writers and content creators. You’ll have a firm grasp of digital production best practice and experience of working with agile product teams.
You will bring excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach to working to manage your team, and strong planning skills with the ability to prioritise competing demands and the workloads of others.
What we offer
- 27.5 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays (full time equivalent)
- Generous defined contribution Natural History Museum Pension Scheme (employer contribution 4-10%)
- Season ticket, bicycle and rental loan
- Life insurance
- Free admission to our exhibitions and many other paid exhibitions at museums, galleries and institutions across London and the UK.
- Staff discount at our Museum shops and cafes
- We offer a wide variety of training initiatives and opportunities to build skills. Investing in
- staff development is important to us, and we are ambitious about helping staff to grow and fulfil their potential.
- Affordable membership to the Civil Service Sports Council offers a range of benefits including an extensive list of special offers and reduced entry fees at a selection of cinema chains, theme parks, theatres, retailers and supermarkets. It also provides entry to up to 300 English Heritage sites and other national treasures. For more details, visit https://www.cssc.co.uk
- Membership to our Sports and Social Association (for a small fee), which includes access to our in-house gym and clubs such as football, softball, table tennis and tennis and classes in Middle Eastern dance, yoga and Tai Chi
Museum supports flexible working. Whilst this is a full-time post (36 hours per week). we are willing to consider and support alternative working patterns or part-time working (accounting for pro-rata salary)
How to apply
If that sounds like you, please apply online on the Natural History Museum’s careers portal, at https://careers.nhm.ac.uk/templates/CIPHR/jobdetail_2358.aspx
In your application, please:
- State, why you are interested in applying for this role and in what way your skills, knowledge and experience match the essential requirements, set out in the job description and person specification.
- List your work experience and education.
- Submit a portfolio of digital content work as part of your application, with links to at least three examples that we can view. You may have written, edited, designed or commissioned this content. Please explain how and why you were involved in the content production process. If you are selected for an interview, we will ask you to pick one of these as a case study to talk about in more detail (this short presentation won’t require the preparation of any additional slides).
Closing date: 10am, Monday 21 February 2022
Interviews expected in the week commencing Monday 28 February 2022
Salary: £43,395 per annum