MANY of us find that we have some friends and/or family members that we always have difficulty finding a suitable Christmas or birthday gift for. There are only so many pairs of socks or gloves that one person can use! Choosing an Alternative Gift could make a nice change and give the recipient the pleasure of knowing that their gift is helping someone in another part of the world.
Over the last few years, we have developed a range of Alternative Gifts that people can purchase to give to their loved ones in place of a Christmas or birthday present. Some of the most popular gifts are available year after year, but we try and have at least a couple of new ones each year so that there is something different for folks who buy them every year. There is a wide price range to choose from too, with something to cater for every budget.
Our most popular gifts include:
- Contributing towards our Christmas fund to buy a gift for every child and adult registered on our programmes in Guatemala and Albania.
- Purchasing laying hens for families in Guatemala to provide them with fresh eggs to supplement their diet and to sell in their communities.
- Providing Relief Food Parcels for families in need – particularly helpful during this time of pandemic when many have not been able to find work.
- Supporting our Women in Need project which provides for the basic needs of widows and other vulnerable adults in the community.
- Helping to provide specialist help for those with disabilities and learning difficulties in Guatemala.
- Providing sponsorship of a child for a year.
This year we have added two new gifts, one in Guatemala and one in Albania.
Last year saw a severe drought in Guatemala cause real problems with water supplies in the mountain areas where seven of our programmes are located. We have been partnering with Asociación Pozos Agua Viva to drill wells to provide communities with clean drinking water and water to irrigate their crops. Providing for more new wells is one of our new Alternative Gifts this year.
The other one came about after we ran youth and children’s clubs in the villages in Albania over the past summer. This was the first time we had done this as a ministry and the clubs proved very popular, with around 750 young people attending clubs in 10 different locations. We have already started planning for next summer and this Alternative Gift will pay for a child to attend a camp next year.
If you would like to buy a very practical Alternative Gift for someone this year, these gifts for 2021 are now available to purchase. You will receive a colourful card and an information slip giving details of the gift that has been bought, to pass on to the recipient. Visit our website and follow the link in the UK Office section to view/download the Alternative Gift Leaflet and have a look at all the options.
For more information, please visit: https://www.livingwateradoptachild.org/uk/about-uk-office/.
Together we can change the world…one child/project at a time!