At Smile Train UK, our family of fundraisers are instrumental in helping us create smiles all over the world. Our fundraisers’ time, passion, and support are invaluable, and we love seeing all the new and exciting ways they choose to raise money for Smile Train.
We are often asked by new supporters how they can raise money for Smile Train in a fun, safe, and low-cost way. In celebration of our 15th birthday this year, and to help offer some inspiration, we have listed 15 unique ways individuals can raise money for the cleft-affected children we support.
- Make a birthday donation – If you are struggling to think of items to pop on your birthday list this year, why not ask friends and family to make a one-off donation to Smile Train? This money will help create a new forever smile for a child so that they can go on to live a full and healthy life.
- Host a virtual comedy show – What better way to raise money for smiles than by hosting a comedy show? If you are a natural at making people laugh, then invite your friends and family to join you for a night of fun and laughter – either safely in person or virtually – with everyone making a small donation to attend. One of our supporters, Noah Shearsby, did this last year and raised £335!
- Turn miles into smiles – Fancy a charity challenge that will get your heart pumping? Put your body to the test in a 10K, half-marathon, or marathon with Smile Train UK’s running team – Team EMPOWER. For more information, visit smiletrain.org.uk/get-involved/team-empower/races-uk.
- Get involved in Yoga for Smiles – Our Yoga for Smiles initiative encourages people to take time out of their day to practice yoga whilst raising funds for cleft-affected children around the world. For more information, visit smiletrain.org.uk/lp/yoga-for-smiles-uk.
- Organise a family-friendly obstacle course – With spring and summer fast approaching, there will be plenty of time to soak up some sunshine in your back garden or local park. Whilst you are enjoying the fresh air, why not create an obstacle course using items from around the home, and invite friends and family to take part in the challenge? All they have to do is make a small donation to join, and then let the competition begin!
- Host a bake-athon – If yoga and obstacle courses are not your cup of tea, we have a delicious fundraising alternative for you. At Smile Train, we love baking, and it is something the whole family can get involved in! Every Easter, we host the Big Smile Tea Party, which encourages friends and families to host their very own internationally themed tea party while raising money for Smile Train. For more information, visit smiletrain.org.uk/big-smile-tea-party.
- Organise a book sale – Have you read lots of books recently and running out of space to store them? There is no better way to put your old books to good use than by selling them and donating the proceeds to Smile Train.
- Host a karaoke night – Do you think you have the X factor? If so, why not use your musical talents to create smiles for cleft children in need of their forever smile? Invite friends and family to take part in a karaoke night either virtually or at home in exchange for a small donation to Smile Train.
- Head out dog walking – If selling books and busking is not your thing, we have a ‘paw-some’ alternative for you. If you have a family dog, why not offer to walk and wash it for your parents in exchange for charity funds? If you do not own a dog, perhaps you could offer to walk your neighbour’s in exchange for a small donation to Smile Train.
- Take part in a sponsored silence – A great challenge for the super chatty ones amongst us. Ask your friends and family to sponsor you not to talk for an hour (or more) to help create smiles all over the world.
- Attempt to break a world record – With more than 40,000 Guinness World Records, the world is your oyster. Ask your friends and family to sponsor you as you set out to beat one of these world records!
- Organise a step-athon – Invite your friends, family, or colleagues to donate a small entry fee to take part in a month-long step competition and see who comes out on top!
- Set up a clothes auction – Now is the perfect time to give your wardrobe a makeover. Why not consider selling your unwanted items on eBay or Depop, and donate the profits to Smile Train?
- Arrange a sponsored litter pick – Spend a morning cleaning up litter in your neighbourhood. Encourage your neighbours to get involved and/or contribute a small donation to Smile Train. Samuel and Finely, two young Smile Train supporters, recently did their own sponsored litter pick-up and raised an incredible £700!
- Fundraise at your wedding – If you want to spread smiles past the alter on your wedding day, why not donate to Smile Train in place of traditional wedding favours? The money you donate will empower local medical professionals to provide free, life-changing cleft treatment to children globally.
The ways in which you can help us change the world one smile at a time are limitless. How will you choose to get involved?
For more information on how you can fundraise for Smile Train, please visit: smiletrain.org.uk/get-involved-uk.